Wall Color Tweaking

We anticipated one or more of our wall colors clashing with the color of our new floors, and whaddaya know, the dining room and kitchen were our winners.

Dining Floors

Kitchen Floors

Trim Added

The brown-on-brown look isn’t our favorite, so we’re thinking about keeping it neutral and going gray or taupe in these rooms.  I like the idea of having a lighter shade in the kitchen, so maybe we’ll choose a wall color along these lines (via Young House Love).

We’ve also come to love dark gray walls around these parts (see Stephen’s office and our master bath, for example). In the dining room, we could use the same hue as we’ve used before (Valspar’s Mountain Smoke), which I think would look something like this.  I love the gold accents!

(via Small Shop)

Or we might head a little more taupe-y, like the color of this living room (also from Restored Style, featured on Young House Love).

As a side note, we have that map and are looking for the perfect place to hang it.  Maybe it will end up in the dining room since we know now it works with this wall color!

I’m nervous even thinking about opening a can of paint over our new floors, but we’ll have to do it sooner or later.  What do you think of our new color direction?  Are there other wall colors you think we should consider?

This entry was posted in dining room, kitchen and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Wall Color Tweaking

1. Rachel says:

I love the color in that last photo – especially paired with the map! 🙂

2. Allison H says:

Love the new floors! I have used Kelly Moore’s “E-Coat” paints. I dont know if you have Kelly Moore up there or not. I live in Dallas. They are Eco-friendly and affordable! I have used “Smoked Almond” (similar to the last image) it is somewhat of a taupe and neutral. We have it in our kitchen. I have also used “Ash” (similar to your first kitchen image) it is a warm gray. We have it in our master bedroom.

Here is the link to their page http://kellymoore.autech.com.au/kellymoore/colorcenter/

it’s in the little pamphlet at the bottom of the paint display!

Good Luck!

3. Leslie says:

love them all. They are remarkably similar to the colors we painted in our house. I still owe you some pictures..as soon as I take some once we get some art on the walls.

4. Autumn says:

We used Sherwin-Williams Mindful Gray (http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7016-mindful-gray/) for a lot of our house. It’s a beautiful gray. We love it!

5. Nick Klaus says:

I’m always a fan of grey, but I’m really swayed by the way the paint in the last photo reads like a mossy green, especially if you’ve used the same shade of grey elsewhere in the house.

6. nora says:

Oh I want that map as well! We’re thinking of putting it up in our stairs to cover some of the nasty walls from removing panelling.

I hate when my colors don’t jive. We painted our first apartment bedroom dark brown and then realized it was a tad “poop” (sorry to be gross) colored, not the lovely taupe I envisioned. Our roommates repainted it the second they swapped rooms, it was that awful. I’ve gone so much lighter and more neutral in our home because our last apartment we also did bright blues, that dark brown, sage green, light yellow, all of which were quite awful in the spaces. The only color I loved was a medium grey just like your’s! I love “Siberian Husky” by BM for a neutral grey but it’s lighter. I was so worried when we redid our floors but it matched very well.

7. Katrina says:

I love grey walls — i’m also partial to greige walls – the perfect blend of grey and beige! The new wall love is going to be amazing with your pretty dining room curtains!!!

Thinking of you. the floors look amazing..
    I hope you are well!