$7 Desk Makeover

Since our house is pretty much a construction zone these days, we’ve been making due with the bare minimum in terms of furniture.  The floors are almost fully installed, but the installers are coming back to clean off the excess glue this week, so we don’t want to get too settled until they’re done.

This weekend we broke down and finally moved two chairs and our TV back into the living room, and what a luxury THAT has been!  The only piece that has been in the living room up to this point was the little red desk Stephen had been using in his office.  Remember this picture?

Stephen's Desk

Less than a month into Stephen’s new job, it became painfully obvious that the desk was way too small for all the work he needed to do on it.  Once we moved it into the living room, he suggested we keep there and turn it into a homework desk for me.

We both thought a fresh coat of paint would improve the look of the piece, so we hauled it outside and started by removing the lower shelf.

Removing Shelf

After a quick once-over with the palm sander, I got out the spray paint!  Remember that wine and white spray paint Stephen gave me for my last birthday?  I’m happy to report that paint got put to good use (ok, ok, the wine did too)!

Shelf Gone

I painted the whole desk white but decided to add a little interest in a couple of areas.  First, I addressed those skinny white legs.  (All skinny white legs must be addressed this time of year, right girls?)

White Leg

Sometimes all they need is a little bronzing!  I gave these legs a paint-dipped look with three coats of gold craft paint.  I have my pal Cassie to thank for this idea – I loved the end tables she painted several months ago and couldn’t wait to try out a similar treatment!

Painting Legs Gold Legs

I picked up two new drawer pulls for $2 apiece at Hobby Lobby.  I was specifically looking for teardrop style pulls and went a little crazy with the gold paint on these babies too.

Painted Knobs

Since I already had the spray paint and the gold craft paint and spent $4 on drawer hardware, you might be wondering where I spent the other $3 for this $7 desk.  While we were at Hobby Lobby picking up the drawer pulls, I spotted this gorgeous white and gold wrapping paper.  I loved it because it reminded me of this Kate Spade iPhone case!

Drawer Paper

A little spray adhesive later, and those desk drawers had lovely new lining!  Isn’t that a fun surprise?

Drawers Lined

So that’s how our little red desk became my new homework desk.  I think it will look perfect next to our new bookshelves once the living room is back in order.

What do you think of the makeover?  My favorite part is the surprise drawer lining. 🙂

Seven Dollar Desk

Oh, and yeah our floors are mostly done.  I owe you a ton of photos, but what do you think of the preview?

More pictures to come!

This entry was posted in Before and After, Furniture, living room and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to $7 Desk Makeover

1. Nick Klaus says:

Okay, I’m torn between whether the really slick gold legs or the fun print inside the drawer is my favorite part. Or that you did all that for only $7. Am I allowed to call it a three way tie?

The preview is exciting, can’t wait for the rest of the photos!

2. Crystal says:

Very cute! I love the new drawer liners. On a side note did you know you are featured on The Letter Cottage today?

oh my goodness i am in love! love the legs! and i used the same exact hardware on emmy’s vanity that i shared today! 😉

Love this! The lining is great, but I especially love the gold on the legs. I’ve been wanting to do this to something for a long time – it’s perfect on this desk!

5. Great transformation – It looks like a completely different desk!

6. jenn says:

I LOVE feeted furniture! This desk is adorable. And, your hardwoods look AMAZING!

7. Jenny B. says:

I really liked the desk in red. 🙂 But, it looks great in white too and totally fits into your living room! Very nice! I can’t believe you spray painted the whole thing. Spray paint intimidates me very much. Ha!

Also, I was just reading The Lettered Cottage, and saw your bathroom! SO COOL!!! I just thought I would share my enthusiasm. 🙂 Fun Fun!!

8. Holly says:

Love the new look for the desk! Saw you featured over at The Lettered Cottage… exciting!!! The preview of the hardwoods look awesome, can’t wait to see the full reveal!

9. Emily says:

Great transformation! The desk had great bones and you brought out even more charm. I really should get on the hunt for a great desk to replace my boring metal and glass desk from Ikea. Ahh college furnature.

10. Adele says:

My goodness Meredith, that is amazing. And just when in thought I would not be surprised by anything you could do!

11. Katrina says:

Love the desk makeover! wow 🙂

12. The desk looks great! I can’t believe the difference (mostly cause I liked it red, too). The gold additions are my favorite!

13. Very cute! I’ve been wanting to try those dipped legs on something – adorable! And I was at Hobby Lobby today buying knobs as well – love the ones you found.

14. Jae says:

Love it! I have been wanting to try the dipped look on a small bench.

15. Cynthia says:

Looks great! I’ve seen those pulls at Hobby Lobby and really liked them. They look perfect on your desk.

16. Great job! It looks beautiful, I love those knobs and the surprise paper lining! You definitely can’t beat a $7 makeover! 🙂

17. kristal says:

Another idea is if you got a piece of clear acrylic to put on top the desk than you could put a pretty fabric underneath it so you would have a clean place to work (without messing up the desks surface) and you could change out the fabric whenever you wanted for a new look. I saw this on another blog recently and I thought it was a great idea! The desk looks great though. Good job! 🙂

18. AB says:

Girleen, that desk is fantastic. The pulls make me long for a Hobby Lobby. They’re earrings for the drawers. LOVE IT.

19. Olimpia says:

Love it! I have a beautifully shaped antique desk that I want to paint white, and after spotting a blue desk with gold legs I really wanted to incorporate gold. But not having seen a while desk with gold legs, I was worried it might be tackier. But no, after seeing this one I love it!