The Domino Effect in Our Entryway

There is a suspicious pattern occurring with every piece of furniture we buy for our entryway.  You might remember that it didn’t take long for our green console to end up in our living room when we needed a new TV stand.

Green console before and after

The mid-century credenza we found for the entryway looked great, but as you saw a few days ago, that piece just made its way into our living room as well.

Wood Console Collage

So why does every piece of entryway furniture end up in our living room?

Turns out that both of these pieces were a little too deep for this space, where the front door essentially opens to a wall.  In theory either console should have been fine, but neither gave quite enough clearance for greeting or saying goodbye to guests comfortably at our front door.  (Or even for entering with a backpack or bag of groceries!)

So now the question becomes, what do we put on our entryway wall?  And how do we choose a piece that won’t get relegated to another part of the house in the near future?

Entryway Empty

I think the key is to find a piece that is less than 16″ deep.  It should probably be leggy (to give a sense of open space) and have drawers or a shelf for a bit of storage.  Since it’s the first thing people will see when they walk into our house, we’re hoping to find something that says “Hi, we’re the Heards and THIS is our style” the minute you walk through our front door.

Any of the above tables could work – with or without a coat of paint.  A couple of them are actually build-it-yourself projects, so what we choose will depend a little bit on how brave we feel about tackling actual woodworking.  I’m not necessarily sold on any of them, but we’re getting closer to finding the perfect piece.

I’ve started gathering inspiration for the overall feel of our entryway on Pinterest.  There are a few styles that definitely jump out at us: these next few images all fall into the “graphic” category.

I love the patterned walls and rugs and overall black and white color schemes.  The entry is an area where I’ve struggled to bring in color, so one solution would be to embrace the grays and bring in contrast instead of color.

But there’s still the painted and colorful option for our entry table.  I have loved the green dresser in the first image below since the minute I saw it, but any of the colors used on the pieces below would work with the color scheme in the adjoining rooms.

Do you have a favorite piece or style of furniture from the images above?  Any suggestions for unique entry pieces I could find locally or online?  I’m hitting up Craigslist pretty regularly looking for just the right piece, but no luck so far.  Cross your fingers we’ll find the right piece soon!

(First four photos above are mine; click on any other to be taken to its source!)

This entry was posted in entryway, Furniture and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The Domino Effect in Our Entryway

i can see you with some painted dresser in a dark peacock- i think i would look smashing with your mirror, too!

2. Janssen says:

I LOVE a parsons table of any kind. So happy and crisp and clean.

3. Rachel says:

We have a store up here called The Christmas Tree Shop (don’t let the name fool you – they have everything!!!). They’re actually part of the Bed, Bath & Beyond franchise, but they have lots of great, inexpensive, put-it-together-yourself console tables. That’s actually where we bought the one we ended up putting in our master BR.

There was also a really neat idea I saw in an old issue of BHG where they took a rustic wide board and used brackets to attach it to the wall (sort of like a makeshift entry shelf, instead of a table). That might also work since you need something slender because then you could buy whatever size board works best.

4. Hi,

I am new to your blog and I am loving it.

We had a similar problem in our hallway, ours is really really narrow, but we needed a space to store our shoes, put a light and dump our junk when we come into the flat. After months of searching for something suitable we found an old set of shelves in our local charity shop (goodwill over with you?). Painted them up and they are doing a great job. I love that we can tidy away our shoes but still have them handy.

Also like you we were struggling with colour in the hallway, we have decided to paint it (Eventually) grey with white trim, so are hoping the bright colour of the shelves will work.

Hope you find a solution

5. Holly says:

Question- the first console that you are using as a tv stand now…did you do a tutorial on how you removed the draw and made a shelf? We are using a dresser as a tv stand how and I love it, but I want all our boxes (satellite, dvd, xbox) to go on a shelf like that.

We haven’t done a tutorial, but I’ll see about writing up a post on that piece sometime soon. It was an easy change though. All I did was take out the middle drawer, drill a hole in the back for the wires to go through, and put the components in the hole. There was already a board separating the drawer hole from the drawer beneath, so it was super simple. I hung a piece of black fabric over the cords at the back of the hole to make everything tidier-looking as well.

Hope that helps!

6. Katrina says:

You have a great separate entryway in your house, I really like the style of pic # 2 the various frames would look great and be a nice welcome and focal & talking point with your guests! 🙂 As for as style of the console goes I like the white ones 🙂

7. nikki says:

What about a console that attaches to the wall like these:

From your pics, my favorite is in the second set of pictures, the mid-century modern piece on the bottom right! But, they’re all really great!

8. stephen says:

I really like the green console, but at the same time the pure white looks so good too… We’re needing something that’s pretty open on the bottom b/c I know M wants to be able to put the dog food and water under the console. We might have to do another Ikea run! (only five hours right!?!?)

9. Karen says:

What if you attached a half table to the wall?

10. Rachel says:

Not sure why it put my last name, would you mind deleting that comment please?

Hey, found you on houseblogging. Nice site! I really like the last picture, the slate blue with spindly legs. Such a great piece. Hope you find something good!

11. Sarah says:

Hey guys,
    Jay picked something up the other day that might be what you are looking for in your entry way. Send me your email and I’ll shoot you a pic.

12. nora says:

I definitely agree with something that attaches to the wall. Our “entry” is actually a porch but my favorite entry way items are the storage benches with hooks above. But not as ornate/dark as this.
    I think it’s mostly because I kick off my shoes and coat the second I walk in but it depends on what you use the space for. I definitely need to find a console table for our dining room. I love both of your’s!

13. Pingback: Console Table Crisis | Welcome to Heardmont