I never thought I’d buy another backpack… for myself.

We’re starting the new year off with lots of changes here at Heardmont.  Since yesterday we talked a little about Stephen’s work and exciting new job opportunities, I figured today was a good one to talk about mine!

As of Monday, it’s official.  I’m going back to school!

I’m enrolled in the Ph.D. Math program at the University of Arkansas and plan to teach at the university level when I get my degree.  I’m going to keep my real estate license active and continue to help friends and family buy and sell in Northwest Arkansas, but I’ll also be helping out as a Graduate Assistant in the math department and stretching my brain further than I ever thought I would.

Calculus Love

That Calculus book you saw yesterday? I’ll be using that one to dust all the math cobwebs out of my brain in the next few months!

Am I excited?  Yes!
Am I nervous?  HECK yes!
Do I have a classy new backpack that makes me feel all grown up?  Yep!

backpack

Stephen and I will both be busier than usual over the coming months, so we’ll probably scale back the posts on our blog to Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays instead of every weekday.  We still have lots of house and yard projects planned though, so don’t you worry that Heardmont is going to get boring!

This morning I’m off to another session of “How to Teach Precalculus” in preparation for my first semester of grad school, which starts Monday!  Wish me luck. 🙂

This entry was posted in Real Estate. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to I never thought I’d buy another backpack… for myself.

WOW!!!!! best of luck to you!

2. !!!!! Congratulations!!! I knew you were a smartypants, but wow! What a great opportunity to go back to school and change fields to something you really love – I would be a professional student if I could, ha! 🙂

3. Melissa says:

Wow! Congrats and good luck!! Looking at that Calculus book gives me chills of fright haha!

4. Pamela says:

Oh Meredith! How exciting for you!!!! School’s the best! 🙂

5. Allison says:

Awesome! I have a later edition of that textbook from college. I have a masters in statistics and calculus is my faaaavorite. But honestly, I’m super jealous of your teaching/TAing. I’ve been trying to get a gig teaching math at a local community college for almost a year now. Tough to break in! But teaching math is awesome.

6. erin says:

congrats! math nerd here! i have a B.S. in math and a masters in statistics- i really enjoyed teaching more than i thought i would.

good luck!

7. jenn says:

Oh wow, congratulations! What an exciting step to take. I’m so impressed that you’re a math person 🙂

Congratulations Meredith! That’s so exciting! I hope you enjoy it. =) I made it through math, but it wasn’t my strong suit, haha. You’re going to be great!

9. casacaudill says:

Congratulations and good luck! Such exciting times for you both.

Wow, smart girl power! That’s awesome (but makes my brain hurt a little just thinking about all that math…). Best of luck!

11. Holly says:

Congratulations!! I didn’t know you were a math whiz… it gives me a headache just thinking about it. It was probably my worst subject in school, I couldn’t stand it! Best of luck to you, hope everything goes well 🙂 Today was my last day at my job of 11.5 years… unbeknownest to me! I’ve been put on partial bedrest with my pregnancy and was ordered not to return to work. So I’m now a stay-at-home rester/relaxer 🙂 Let’s hope this baby arrives soon…

12. Lisa says:

That’s so exciting. A student! It sounds like you’re multi-talented in design, sales AND math. Pretty cool. Good to hear that you’re still going to be blogging. Good luck!

• Adele says:

Well, and let’s not forget that she IS an Industrial Engineer by training to begin with. So proud of my super-daughter-in-law!!

13. April C. says:

I. AM. SO. JEALOUS! Oh my goodness, you’ll have to keep us posted every step of the way. I dream of going back to school for mathematics – I miss number theory, abstract algebra, cryptography… Congrats! So exciting!

14. Jenny B. says:

Wow! I hope it all goes REALLY well! I bet you’ll be a terrific G.A. 🙂

15. Savannah says:

How exciting! I have a bachelors degree in Math but have NO desire to go any further. 🙂 You inspire me!

16. nora says:

Amazing!! You have so many big announcements these days! This is so exciting for you! I always thought about going for my Ph D in Accounting/working as a professor but since I just finished my masters in August, I really need a break for now. My sister and parents are engineers and while I like math, I could neverrrr do that complicated calculus stuff. You’re a super genius for loving it!! 🙂

17. Joy Brown says:

Hey Meredith!
    That is AWESOME news! going back to school (cool back pack!) and Steve’s new job. wow! Jimmy told me all about what you guys are up to and to check out your great blog. He is so excited about you! and what you both are doing, (he’s going around telling everyone!)
    Life is good!
    Joy

18. Ohhhh boy. That IS big news. Good luck.

19. Ashley says:

Congratulations! I am so excited for you to start this new adventure. You will be a college Weg… AWESOME! Congrats to Stephen on his new job! Good luck to you both!

20. That’s awesome! Best of luck to you!
    Sometimes I miss school, but I know I could never go back 😉 Good for you!

21. Pingback: Couch City | Welcome to Heardmont

22. Katrina says:

Wow!! Congrats 🙂

23. Lena says:

Wow! What exciting news!!! Math is the best! Are you thinking theoretical or more applied math? Optimization is my favorite! Good Luck, girl! You will do great! I still remember that Deric said you had one of the best technical interviews he had given 🙂

24. Pingback: A Preview of Things to Come | Welcome to Heardmont