Dreaming of an Airstream

Stephen and I got back from another camping trip on the Buffalo River yesterday afternoon and proceeded to take it easy for the rest of the night.  While we were chilling with our feet up and episodes of Mad Men playing in the background, we started talking about how nice it would be to have a little camper to take on weekend trips instead of sleeping in a tiny tent, especially once we have kids.

While Stephen was poking around online, he started looking at different camper models and renovations, and slowly but surely the seeds of a dream were planted.  By the end of the evening, we were both on board and totally excited about this:  Someday soon, we want to purchase and renovate a vintage Airstream trailer!

(via)

We’ve chatted casually before about actually living in and roaming the country in one of these trailers, but with jobs that keep us very firmly planted in Arkansas for the time being, we’ve decided a small travel trailer (something along the lines of a vintage Airstream Bambi) suits our weekend camping trip goals best.

(via)

A brand new or completely refurbished Airstream is out of the budget right now, so we will be looking for one to gut and rebuild to our tastes.  I’m starting to collect inspiration photos on Pinterest (see them here) and we’re trolling the web, looking for the perfect model at the perfect price.

The remodels we’ve seen so far run the gamut of styles – from sleek and modern to kitchy and cozy.  Stephen is leaning towards minimalist with leather upholstery and lots of shiny metal.

(via and via)

My favorite look so far is one with lots of white.  I love little pops of color to keep the space feeling homey.

(via)

(via)

(via)

I’m sure there are plenty of ways we can meet in the middle, though.  Just take a look at some of the beautiful and crazy interiors we’ve seen.  There’s something here for anybody with a little wanderlust.

Airstream International CCD 22

(via)

(via)

(via and via)

(via, also on AT)

(via and via)

With our new project in mind, we wanted to share these inspiration pictures with you and ask, do you have your own travel trailer or know somebody who does?  Did your family ever take road trips in one of these vintage bad boys?  We want to hear your stories!

(via)

Want to see more camper inspiration or buy your own?  Check out these sites:
Get Campie
Wandering Airstream
Vintage Trailer Crazy
Airstream pool on Flickr
View RVs
Airstream Camperss

Thanks for reading!

This entry was posted in For Fun, Travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Dreaming of an Airstream

1. jenn says:

I’ve had a crush on airstreams for years. The only problem for us? Chris is 6’7″ and really can’t stand comfortably in one. SAD! I actually have a few friends who’ve bought vintage ones and restoring them. I live vicariously through them 😉

2. Allison H says:

That is so crazy that you posted this today, because my husband and I were also talking this weekend that we wanted a small little trailer for our weekend travels!! We too have the hopes of finding a bargain and renovating it as well! Good luck! 🙂

3. Ginna says:

I love the vintage airstreams. Check out the vintage airstreams that are at our wedding venue (for next May), that serve as the bride’s prep room, and places for guests to sit and chat or guest accomodations – http://www.threepointsranch.com

4. YAAAAYYYY! welcome to Team Trailer

5. Ooooo… I’m so excited. I was hoping that was why you were Pinning these images. Ryan and I would love to try this, too. For now, I hope you find one and we can live vicariously through you. 😉

6. Nora says:

Aw they are so cute! The comment about 6’7″ not fitting makes me sad though, Rob is 6’4″ so they might be out for us too. He loved his childhood pop-up but I just think of spiders and mildew in them. Airstreams always seem so much cleaner and cuter because they don’t fold all up. I can’t wait to see what you guys do!

7. April C. says:

We have one (although i WISH it was an airstream!) and we wouldn’t be without it! It’s allowed us to go many places we wouldn’t have seen otherwise, and for totally cheap!! =) Go for it!!

8. I think this is awesome! Can’t wait to see if you guys get one and how you pretty it up! My Mom grew up camping with her family and she loved it – said she has some of the best memories from those trips.

9. Sara says:

I’ve had the fever going on year two…have been considering other “canned hams” that are lightweights, so we can use our Saturn Vue to pull…We love to bicycle tour, so it’s a perfect match for us…Also, something else to think about…the smaller trailers are often charged a tent fee vs. a trailer fee at many campsites, so downsizing may be desireable… AND, I may want to do a girls weekend, so lighter may be more manageable for me:) We’re launching our youngest this year, and are finally looking forward to crossing this off our bucket list, as it was a dream since before we were married..Congrats on tackling now, BK (Before Kids)! Can’t wait to check out your Pins…Keep us posted:)

10. Kate Hunka says:

Hi! My cousin shared your post and I loooove all the pics! My husband and I bought a 1976 minnie-winnie in great but original shape and can’t wait to get on the road with it! We looked at airstreams for a long time but they just hold their value too well for our budget 🙁 and we’ve actually fallen in love with it’s vintage feel! Do it and have fun!!

11. Pingback: Adventures in Florida | Welcome to Heardmont

12. John Goble says:

We just bought a 61 Bambi on e -bay drove to Alabama from Austin to pick it up, it may be a basket case as the saler sead on the add but it was affordable at $4000.00 and we are in love with it, just got it cleaned out today, to start the remodel, wish us luck!

13. DB says:

When you have the silver fever there is no cure except to get one! I have a 25 ft Safari – the 75 th Anniversary edition – hubby bought for – yes – our anniversary! It’s a great size – roomy but not too big to tow! I’ve wanted one since I was a child. Don’t wait to get one if that’s what you want now – you will make many happy memories! Trailers take the hassle out of traveling – the Airstream is like a luxury suite with all the fun of the outdoors. You travel when you want and how you want. Everything is there and ready to go – you eat what you want and it’s better food! Cooking is fun and the kitchen is as nice as home! Reservations are easier and no complicated preparation. Go to Jackson Center Ohio and take Airstream’s factory tour – so interesting!