Wire Word Art

Happy Monday everybody!  Stephen and I are back from a weekend in Little Rock, celebrating our nephew’s 3rd birthday.  We also had a few hours on Saturday to spend shopping for art and antiques with my MIL and had a great time.

Speaking of art, last week we talked about wanting to fill a blank wall in our bedroom with something meaningful.  After sharing lots of inspiration images from Pinterest, these two really got my wheels turning.

By sheer coincidence, I’d just brought all of my old wire and beading supplies back from Mountain Home a few weeks ago, so I got started DIYing my own version of the wire word art with some needle-nose pliers and floral wire (22 Gauge, in case you’re wondering).

Wire Art Supplies

As you’ll see, the phrase I chose for our art was significantly longer than the word “Love,” so I thought it might be nice to be able to frame it down the line.  I pulled out an old frame with a 11×14″ mat to use as a guide to keep my lettering to the right size.

Sample Size

I started twisting and crimping the wire into cursive letters – some twisting was done by hand, and some required the pliers to make it nice and crisp.  You can see how my first line fit within the borders of the mat.  Any guesses as to what my phrase would end up being?

1 Line Done

I ended up making 3 lines of cursive text, just eyeballing the letters as I went.  Here’s the second line, added below the first.

2 Lines Done

And here you can see the complete phrase.  This whole project took probably 2 hours of So You Think You Can Dance watching and wire twisting!  Not bad!

3 Lines Done

Why did we choose these lyrics?  The Beach Boys song God Only Knows has been our song since Stephen and I first started dating.

Complete Wire Art

In fact, it was the song we chose for our first dance at our wedding.

First Dance

We still haven’t decided if we’ll hang this wire art on the wall we were talking about last week, but it will definitely find a home in our master bedroom after some painting, matting, and framing.

Complete Wire Art

What do you think of my floral wire creation?   Did you take on any craft projects this weekend?

This entry was posted in art, master bedroom, Weddings and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Wire Word Art

oh i love it!!!! sooo cute! and love that song. 🙂

2. Very cool!! Dang, you’re good at twisting wire – I’m pretty sure my letters would be indecipherable. BTW, isn’t SYTYCD addictive? 🙂

3. This is so cute! I’m totally impressed you could create that by eyeballing it. Looks great. And so meaningful, too.

I LOVE this! And your wire-twisting handwriting is impeccable! It turned out gorgeous.

5. April C. says:

It’s LOVELY! And do you know what? Perhaps I haven’t talked to enough people about it, but I’ve never found anyone else who danced to that song at their wedding besides my husband and myself. Great choice – I just love those words. And you made them look so amazing!

6. Sarah says:

That is our song too! Such a classic 🙂

7. Kat Griffin says:

amazing! Love how it looks would you think of doing it wiht a video to show how you exactly did this?

wow
    KAT

Hey Kat,
      That’s a great idea to do a video of the wire word making… I might have to figure out a good way to set something like that up. That will probably be a job for Mr. Heard!

8. Kourtney says:

I love it! Can’t wait to see it on display!

9. Comeca Jones says:

Its cute youre so crafty!

10. Michelle says:

Oh my that is the sweetest most romantic thing I’ve ever seen! Making something like that, that means something to you both. True romance x

11. Nora says:

So cute! I love how it looks on the brick background. I almost wish that was the way the final project would look! I’m sure it will be cute anyway!

12. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

This is brilliant. I also like that you went with such special lyrics.

13. Pingback: Wrapped Wire Word Art | Welcome to Heardmont

14. Anna says:

Meredith,
    I found your wonderful blog yesterday morning, and have so far spent far too many hours scouring your fantastic tutorials and brilliant ideas and just wishing I had a great big house to do all sorts of fun revamping on like you do! Needless to say, your blog is immediately one of my favorites – ever. (Your house is gorgeous, lady! Mad props!) But I really, really love the crafty things you do, very inspiring – especially in the not-exactly-metropolitan areas where we live. I am about 40 minutes north of Nashville, so I appreciate when your decor consists of Home Depot, Target, and TJMaxx rather than Pottery Barn and such. I know this post is fully a year old, but I’m going through kind of crazily and just caught this one. I was with you every moment in this one – I have wire and pliers and could make something like this. I love the look of the twisted wire, and would love to copy this project. But I about died when I saw the words you chose – God Only Knows is special to my husband and I as well, and was our first dance song, too! Dude, you folks have taste.

Anyway, before this comment becomes stalker-y, (maybe too late, whoops) I just wanted to say that your home is gorgeous, your blog is inspiring, (literally. I’m not a home diy-er yet, but anytime I’m curious how you fix a builder-boring home element, I’ll just check your blog to see how it’s done!) and thank you for all the work you put into it!

FYI, My blog hasn’t been updated really in a year, but I’m hoping to revive it soon, if you feel like checking it out. Best to you and yours!

-Anna