Guest Room: DIY Drapes (Again!)

Surprisingly I carved out a few hours this weekend to work on our guest/craft room redo. Next on the to-do list was to sew new drapes from the fabric I showed you a few weeks ago.

Curtain Fabric

I followed almost the exact same process as the last time I sewed lined curtains for this room.  I started by cutting the curtain lining and curtain material to length.

Cutting to Length Fabric and Lining

The curtain lining I used was actually just white quilting material.  The purpose of lining these curtains was to make the outside view clean and white, rather than to block light to the guest room.

Cutting Side Lining

Just as with the previous lined curtains, I hemmed both sides and the tops of both panels.

Pinned Side Hem1

Pinned Top Hem

Top Hem

Sewing Top Hem

The only change I made to my lined curtains this time around?  Instead of wasting time sewing little white tabs to hang the curtains from, I cut strips of yellow ribbon from my stash and hot glued them in place.

Top Hem Measuring

You’ve seen me turn pre-made curtains into tab-backed panels using this same method, and I have to say it’s SO easy!

Cutting Ribbons for Tabs

I attached 7 tabs per panel, which seemed to yield the right amount of fullness when the curtains went up.

Adding Tab Backs

Here’s a shot of the curtains hanging up from behind.  You can only see those yellow ribbons when you’re standing below the curtain rod and looking up.

Ribbon Tab Backs

I still have to hem them, but I couldn’t wait to share the mostly finished result! 🙂

Need Hem

Without further ado, our new guest room curtains!

What do you think of them?  I love the fabric and how fast they came together.

Guest Curtains Angle

I wanted to give you a little preview of some of the bedding I’ll be using in the guest room too.  You’ll probably recognize the peacock pillow from our living room, and the green pillows were leftover from the last bedding in our guest room.

Guest Room Fabrics

Just a few more projects and this room will be done-zo!  Did you check anything off your sewing or DIY to-do list this weekend?

Linking:
The DIY Show Off The Lettered Cottage The Shabby Nest

This entry was posted in Crafts, guest/craft room and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Guest Room: DIY Drapes (Again!)

the curtains look awesome, and the peacock pillow is stunning with them!

2. Love that fabric!! The room is going to look so great when it’s all finished – and that peacock pillow is awesome with the fabric.

3. Ches says:

AWESOME tutorial, thanks for sharing. The fabric is great and I look forward to seeing how the room transforms.

4. Candace says:

Oh man, I NEED that fabric in my life! It would actually be perfect for lamps I am trying to finish….. you don’t REALLY need curtains do you???!?!? 😉

5. nikki says:

I REALLY like that fabric!

6. nora says:

Love them! They are so gorgeous. I’m so awful at hemming/sewing for long distances in a straight line. I can make clothes and follow shorter lines but after a long time in a straight away, my lines always end up so crooked! Great job!!

7. Could that fabric BE any more beautiful? Seriously. Just lovely.

And I love that you line them for a clean outside look. I’m kinda funny about that. We actually went with all the same roman shades because of my need for the same look from the outside. But great thought with the back of the curtains, too.

Wow that is beautiful material!! and what a great job you did sewing them. Beautiful!!

9. I absolutely love this tutorial, I think this is just the push I need to finally take down the curtains (er, strips of fabric) in my living room and actually hem them – and not only on the bottom!! I LOVE the way you add the strips of ribbon to the back for such a seamless look – LOVELOVELOVE it! Can’t wait to see how the room turns out…

10. Michelle says:

You are one clever cookie! Love the fabric can’t wait to see how the room pulls together. We finished the man cave on the weekend putting the final coat of oil on the floorboards, so now for the fun bit setting up the furniture and shop shop shopping 😉

11. Desiree says:

Great job making your curtains! I am very impressed. Love the fabric too.
    Desiree

12. Janet says:

Love the fabric! Where did you find it??

13. Pingback: Pink Lady Lamp | Welcome to Heardmont

14. Holly says:

Oooo, love the fabric and love the ribbon trick. I’m fixing to tackle curtains for my living room, so I’ll have to try that! Looks great!

15. Love the fabric and great tutorial! It makes me (a non-sewer) feel like I could do it too.

16. Pingback: New Linens for Less | Welcome to Heardmont

17. Cheri says:

Love this fabric, love the look. Drapes do so much for a room…giving it amazing “weight”. You did a great job!

18. alyssa says:

I love the fabric that you used! I wish I could find some of that here!

19. Pingback: Guest Room: Free Art | Welcome to Heardmont

20. Melissa says:

Oh man I love that fabric!!! What is the name of that fabric!? Your drapes are amazing!!

21. Pingback: Guest Room: Chair Makeover (& the Winners!) | Welcome to Heardmont

22. Carrie says:

Where did you find that beautiful peacock pillow? I need one in my house?? Love it!

23. Kelly says:

These are beautiful and I love your tutorial. I want to try this to remake some drapes that came with my house with formal swags. I want to turn them into straight panels like yours. I’m nervous about the hot glue and afraid it won’t hold up the heavy panels. Thanks for sharing!