Exploring Flooring {in our bathroom}

A few of you noticed a lack of bathroom rugs when we showed you our finished master bath a couple weeks ago.

In all honesty, I had rugs picked out and purchased for this room, but when it came time to take photos, they made the room look so busy that I opted to leave them out.  It was tough to decide what color and kind of rugs we wanted in this space, but one thing I knew was that they would have to work with the rug in our master closet.

I considered white rugs but worried they’d get too dirty.  Then I thought about yellow and decided that yellow towels, a yellow shower curtain, AND yellow rugs might be a little overwhelming. With white and yellow pretty much ruled out, gray was our best bet.

I bought and returned several gray rugs, trying to find the right size and color, and finally ended up with some that I thought would work.  But now that our master bath is actually in use again, I’m not sure which rugs I should keep!  Here’s where you come in. I need some fresh eyes to take a look and help me decide which rugs look best (or if I need to start the search completely over again).

(1) At first, I thought all we’d need was a simple small bath mat for getting out of the shower. I found this fluffy gray mat at Bed Bath & Beyond.  The tag said $20, but we had a giftcard, so it was free to me.

(2) Then I stepped back and noticed the rest of the floor looked a little empty (a good thing or a bad thing?).  $8 at Walmart got me this small rug that matched the runner in our closet.  And bonus, we wouldn’t have to endure cold tile on our bare feet while standing at the sink.

(3) I liked the new rug in front of the sink, but I also tried in front of the tub.  It looked good there too, but would having a rug right up against the toilet get gross after awhile? (Being completely honest here!)

(4) I tried rotating the rug in front of the toilet to see if that would be any better.

(5) Then I wondered if I should forgo the smaller rugs altogether and just get another gray runner (for around $17), so I borrowed the one from our closet to try it out.

It looked great, but I wasn’t sure if it was long enough to function in our room.

(6) For my last scenario, I moved the small gray rug back in front of the sink.  Then I pretended the gray runner was another small gray rug and positioned it in front of the tub (like option 3).

Now here are my questions for you: Which option do you like the best?  Is there another arrangement you think would look better?  Or would you have gone with a completely different color or style of rug?

I’d love to hear your thoughts!  Thanks.

P.S. For those of you who read about our Yard Waste Drama yesterday, I’m happy to report that this is what I came home to at lunch today!  Looks like I won my little battle with the city.  Boo-yah! 🙂

This entry was posted in Home Decor, master bath. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Exploring Flooring {in our bathroom}

1. Kourtney says:

I vote for the last option: the two patterned rugs. The little fluffy gray one looks too weeny for the space 🙂 Love the bathroom though! You’ve definitely inspired me to FINALLY redo our master bathroom!

i think i like the one long one… but think about where you will want them under your feet, too and make sure it works for you.

3. Autumn says:

I would go for option #6. You’ll like having the rug to step out onto when you get out of the shower, and one to stand on at the sink. And I think that looks the best. As far as the rug getting gross by the toilet… I’ve been known to throw a small rug like that right in the washing machine!

4. nikki says:

Of the above choices, I would choose #6. It’s easy to throw one of those rugs in the washer from time to time.

Or, you could use the rug by the sink and then get a bath mat (they pretty much look like a towel) to lay out when you shower and then put it over the side of the tub to dry between uses. Your shower curtain will keep it hidden.

5. I like option #6…even though I own the gray rug from Bed, Bath, and Beyond and love it, I like the Wal-Mart rugs better. I don’t know if they are meant to be thrown in the washer, but if so (rubber backing) then the gross problem is easily remedied. If they can’t be thrown in the wash, then I would opt for a bathmat.

6. BOOYAH! 🙂 I’m with Nikki – I would just get a white shaggy bath mat (you can just wash it when you wash your towels if it gets dirty) and hang it over the side of the tub when you’re not using it and call it a day – that’s what we do in our Jack ‘n Jill bath and it works great.

7. I like the runner. When you get out of the tub, you could use a bath mat and store in on the side of the tub when you’re not using it (keeping it out of sight). I found the softest one ever at Kohl’s. It’s by Laura Ashley. It’s just heavenly to step on after a shower. Or, Bed Bath & Beyond has those memory foam bath mats… I’m sure whatever you pick will look great!

Congratulations on the yard waste pick up!! Meredith “1”, City “0”. 🙂

I love the idea of a big white shaggy rug too, but because there is linear going on in the shower curtain I think a white rug with some soft yellow shapes in them would be nice. Or one with all three colors to tie the whole bathroom together. Hugs Anne

9. Angie says:

I like the patterned rug in front of your sink, but not sure what to do with your toilet area Of all the options I like the last one the best. The little fluffy rug in front of the tub looked kind of silly to me, just too small I think:) Your bathroom is GORGEOUS!

10. Candace says:

My faves are option #5 (the long runner) and #6 (two smaller mats at sink & shower).

11. Sarah says:

I like the runner but it is too short. So my vote is for option 7. Grey rug in front of the sink. Hang the bathmat over the tub and behind the shower curtain when not in use (dries faster this way too)

12. nicki says:

I like the option 5 runner. I think all the other options looked a little off near the base of the toilet, but 6 would be my second runner-up.

13. Wow! I’m all caught up. I think I was having Heardmont withdrawal.

I like option number 5 best, with the long rug. We use a really thick bathmat made out of towelly material from Target. (Actually we have two, and they rotate while the other is being washed) I can throw it in the washing machine as often as I want and I just hang it over the side of the tub when we’re not using it so it’s out of sight most of the day, hidden behind the shower curtain. That would solve the funny space with the toilet issue, and you could still have the mat in front of the sink.

14. Mary says:

I’d go with the runner, and get a bath mat and hang it over the tub when you’re done getting out of the shower. I think the two smaller rugs look too busy-takes away from your shower curtain.

15. I’d go with plain white…but I’m boring like that!! I think white rugs would keep your feet warm without distracting from the rest of your awesome bathroom!!

16. Jenny says:

I like the two small Walmart rugs the best. The fluffy one is too small, and I don’t think the color looks right. We’ve always had rugs right up next to the toilet, and while they do need washing periodically, they don’t seem to get any nastier than the rugs by the sink. I also think white would look good. If you get some that are machine washable, it shouldn’t be too difficult to keep them looking good. Another option would be to just have a rug in front of the sink and then use a bathmat in front of the shower. You could just lay it up over the side of the tub when not in use. I like the runner, but I know I would want to be able to stand on the carpet while brushing my teeth, and it looks like you’d be standing partially on the tile. That would bug me. 🙂

17. leslie says:

I must be on a completely different page from everyone else…my initial thought when I saw the picture was that you should try a couple bamboo bathmats..they aren’t soft and fluffy though. hmm.

18. Katie says:

If you’re wanting to keep things from looking too busy, at first thought, I’d say keep the one long runner in front of the vanity and toilet and then just use one of those thick bath mats for stepping out of the shower, hanging it over the side of the tub when it’s not in use. But if this is your main bathroom (already a little foggy and I just toured your house last week, that’s sad I know:), it might be inconvenient to be moving the bath mat all the time.

If you go with two rugs, I think the matching ones are a good choice. But… seriously? I’m the farthest thing from an expert so… 🙂

19. Jess says:

Last option!! It looks the most congruent and I love that the rug have some pattern in them–not your typical bath mat, like the gray one!

Happy picking!! 😉

20. Pingback: Master Bath Updates | Welcome to Heardmont

21. Desirae says:

I have this same color scheme in my son’s bathroom and I found a really cool yellow/gray/white/black rug from Target I put in there that is super cute. I got a fluffy gray bathmat he uses when he gets out of the shower to drip on and then hangs it on the tub to hide.

22. Sapna says:

Hello

I like the colors used and the small items placed in the bathroom. Makes the room interesting. I would be happy to know the size of the bathroom and size of the bathtub. With reference to your question, I know I am late, but would love to know what you decided finally.

Sapna