Master Bath Phase 5: Plumb 'er Up!

We’re THISCLOSE to a finished master bathroom and I can hardly contain myself!  It is going to be so AWESOME to finally have a beautiful bathroom we can use, and even though I haven’t officially run the numbers, I know it’s going to come in under budget. Icing on the cake, baby! 🙂

Pretty soon you’ll get to see the result of weeks of work on this bland, dated “before.”

But first, here’s a quick recap of what’s gone down in this room since we last visited it.

This is an image I shared from the day we started demolition on our little bathroom. Remember those stickers I pointed out on our bathroom door?

Those things seriously had to have been there for over 20 years.  As funny and interesting as those old stickers were (do I spy a Highlights dinosaur sticker?), it was time for them to go.

All it took was a little putty knife action..

.. and it was just like they were never there.  Why it took the previous owners 20+ years to address this eyesore, I’ll never know.  But then again, it did take us 3 years to do something about it, and it wasn’t even our kid who put them there…. 🙂

Once we’d taken care of dino and his pals, it was time to prime and paint!

Our vanity and door got the same treatment as our walls and trim.  One coat of primer + 2 (and a half) coats of glossy white paint.

Once the vanity was dry, Stephen installed brackets for our new countertop and screwed it all together.

You’ll get to see the attached countertop in the next pic, but first, here’s a shot of the base of our vessel sink with the waterproof adhesive we used to glue it to the butcher block.

We were very careful to set the sink down in exactly the right spot.  Nobody likes to clean up stinky adhesive off their beautiful new countertops!

We made sure to wait for the adhesive to dry before Stephen hooked up the plumbing.

In the meantime, I got busy caulking every seam I could find.  Boy, I’ll be glad when it’s time to put that caulk gun in the garage for good!

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it a million more times – painter’s tape is your best friend when it comes to straight caulk lines!

Pretty, right? 🙂

For the base of the sink, we used clear silicone caulk.  The only downside I’ve found to the vessel sink we chose is that the caulk gun won’t fit under it to seal off the base.  I had to squirt caulk onto my finger and wipe it into the gap over and over until the seam was sealed.  Better safe than sorry, though.  Now I know we won’t run into seeping water issues later down the line.

After we’d addressed the countertop and sink, we could finally finish installing the battens in the vanity area.

Of course the sides and base of every batten had to be caulked as well!

And after the walls and battens were caulked, primed, and painted just like the rest of the room, here is your final sneak peek of our master bath!

Can you visualize how amazing this is going to be when it’s all done?  Are you as excited as we are to see how it turns out?

I hope you’ve enjoyed watching our master bathroom reno unfold.  Thanks for visiting and we’ll see ya here again tomorrow!

This entry was posted in building, master bath, Paint and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Master Bath Phase 5: Plumb 'er Up!

1. modern jane says:

oooh! love it already!

Its. So. Beautiful! So excited to see the rest. =]

3. Erin says:

Oh it looks great! I was just going to redo the horrible caulk job my landlord did for my bathroom sink and I’m going to take your advice on the painter’s tape. Do you have a preferred brand of caulk?

Hi Erin,
      Thanks so much for the question! I definitely have a preferred type of caulk – SILICONE all the way (across the sky – name that YouTube video!). We used GE Brand Silicone II (Paintable White and Clear Waterproof) and it worked great on our bathroom remodel. I’ve used acrylic caulk before too, and I definitely prefer the silicone.

Hope that helps. I bet your sink will look a million times better after you clean up your landlord’s mess. 🙂

4. nikki says:

Looking good! We will soon be adding board and battens to our downstairs bath, but I’ve got to get some other painting projects done first. It’s been nice to watch the process before we dive in.

5. Kim says:

We just recently made over our bathroom and it was wonderful to finally have a nice, clean, up to date bathroom. I am excited for you and I can’t wait to see the pics!!

6. It’s looking GREAT! Can’t wait for the final reveal!

7. Allisha says:

I’m looking forward to seeing the finished project! Maybe it will give me the motivation to finish our kitchen ;)!

8. Wow, that’s going to be gorgeous!! I’m particularly in love with the stain job you did on your countertop. 🙂

gorgeous, meredith! i looove that countertop! i just think you should have left the stegosaurus sticker though. just sayin’.

10. Candace says:

I totally had to do the caulk-your-finger-then-apply method, too! It was a weird angle and tight fit to get the back and right side of my vessel sink. What a headache.

Also? I feel like a dunce for not using painters tape to do the caulking… I was just using my finger (with Mineral Spirits.)

11. I feel like I say this every other time I comment here. You guys are so patient. I, oops, WE, have lots of plans and big ideas for the new house but I have a feeling I’ll lose momentum based on the sheer amount of effort required. I hope we can do as many DIY projects as you, as beautifully.

The bathroom is going to look absolutely stunning when it’s all finished.

12. Pingback: Master Bath Phase 5: The Big Reveal! | Welcome to Heardmont

13. Amy says:

Hi I was wondering where you got your countertop? I would love to do this to my bathroom. Did you just buy a butcher block and cut it yourself for the sink?