Master Bath: How We Saved by Doing it Ourselves

Thank you so much to everybody who stopped by and left us love on our master bath reveal yesterday.  We are so thrilled to finally have a clean, pretty space to enjoy every single day – and one that didn’t break the bank!

I promised a budget breakdown and source list for this room, and today I’ve got the goods.  Since we don’t renovate bathrooms for a living, it took a lot of research to figure out whether we could do this update ourselves and do it affordably.  After clocking dozens of hours researching Everything Bathroom, we came up with a budget of “Under $1000” for the space.

It helped that we didn’t have to replace the toilet or tub, but keeping just the vanity area under $1000 could have been tricky.  Have you ever checked pricing for an in-stock or made-to-order vanity?  Yikes!  Going that route could have put us over the $1000 mark pretty quickly, so we knew we’d have to get creative.

Once we had a viable vanity solution, we got to work.  I hadn’t officially crunched the numbers until today, so let’s take a little tour around the room and see if we beat our $1000 goal!

Vanity Area

Light Fixture: $30 Home Depot (in stores only)
Oval Mirror: $40 Home Depot
Vessel Sink: $90 Ikea
Chrome Faucet: $40 Ikea
Butcher Block: $40 Ikea
Clear Caulk and Sink Adhesive: $5 x 2 = $10 Lowes
Plumbing under Sink: $22 Lowes
GFI Outlet and Switch Covers: $15 Lowes
Hand Towel Rings: $9 x 2 = $18 Lowes
Wood Document Frame: $12 Target
Bike Art: Free Vintage Printable
Q-tip and Cotton Ball Holders: $1.50 x 2 = $3 Walmart
White and Chrome Waste Bin: Free (via Bed Bath & Beyond giftcard)
Vanity Hardware: Free (already had via Lowes)

Vanity Area Total: $320

Toilet Wall

Wood Document Frames: $12 x 2 = $24 Target
Europe Art: Free Vintage Printable
Candle and Candle Holder: Free (already had via Big Lots)
Vase: Free (already had via Big Lots)
Pussy Willows: $2 x 2 = $4 Walmart

Toilet Wall Total: $28

Shower Area

DIY Shower Curtain: $20 via Walmart, Hobby Lobby and me!
Curtain Rod: $10 Walmart
Curtain Hooks: Free (already had via BBB)
Bathrobe: Free (gift from Victoria’s Secret)

Shower Area Total: $30

Towel Wall

Towels: $60 World Market
(price includes 2 bath and 2 hand towels – other 2 & 2 were a gift from mom)
Towel Bars: Free (came with the house)
White Light Switch: Free (already had via Lowes)

Towel Wall Total: $60

Around the Room

Pendant Light: $50 CB2
Hardwire Light Kit: $5 Home Depot
Board and Battens: $26 Lowes
White Silicone Caulk: $5 x 2  = $10 Lowes
Gray Paint: Free (already had – mixed to match Valspar’s Mountain Smoke)
White Primer and Paint: Free (already had via Lowes)

Around the Room Total: $91

Master Bath Grand Total: $529

Wow – that’s just about half of the amount we budgeted for this room!  Three cheers for Getting Creative and Doing It Yourself!

I think our bathroom is a perfect reflection of our goal here at Heardmont: to DIY our home and show you how.  I hope one or more of the projects we took on in this room will inspire you to DIY something at your house and save some money along the way.  We could have hired a plumber, a painter, a carpenter, and an electrician and gotten pretty much the same result in this room, but instead we learned a lot about renovating, saved BOATLOADS of money, and picked up a little “I Did That” pride along the way.  As Nate Berkus would say, we are House Proud!

Thanks so much for reading along as we reno’d this space.  Let me know if you have any questions on this room, and if you like what you see, please become a follower and say hi sometime!

This entry was posted in master bath and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Master Bath: How We Saved by Doing it Ourselves

1. Ashley says:

Meredith, it looks so good! I am quite impressed with you two, at soooooo under your budget. Great job!

2. Ches says:

You guys did a fantastic job! The only project I would have been scared to do myself would have been installing the new light fixtures, I think everything else would have been possible for me (and hubby) to do.

3. Deborah says:

Wow… I am speechless… found you over at Beyond the Picket Fence and I am so happy I did.

You and hubs did a fabulous job. I am loving the board and batten, makes me want to run to Lowes as I write this. I am more impressed with your total cost… you rocked that.

Absolutely amazing job guys, I wouldn’t change a thing. Now give each other a well deserved pat on the back.

Hugs, Deb

That is so amazing Meredith! Very impressive. =] Way to kick that budget’s butt!

5. Leslie says:

still love it, and even more at that price! one question – no rugs?

6. Meredith – thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog! I am so impressed by your bathroom staying within budget and I LOVE it! It looks great.

Have a great weekend!

7. Amy says:

You guys did a great job! Kudos on the budget. That is a hard thing to keep in check, especially when remodeling an entire room!

8. Mary says:

Have had sooooooo much fun following your re-do! Love it. One question, when you painted your vanity ( or kitchen cabinets, too) do you recomment semi-gloss latex or enamel paint?

Hi Mary,
      I’ve always used semi-gloss or gloss latex paints on our cabinets, but that’s not to say it’s necessarily the “best” way to go. We just had luck with what we used the first time, so we’ve just kept on using it! Hope that helps! 🙂

9. Hannah says:

oh my gosh! amazing job!!!! i totally love it! are you not so proud of yourselves????? that is totally inspiring! once again…love the shower curtain!

10. Wow – an incredible transformation at an even more incredible price!
    As a former kitchen & bath designer I know that the dollar signs can add up before you know it.
    Thanks for showing how you can achieve great style without breaking the bank.

Andrea

11. Wow, your budget is AMAZING!!!! I bow down.

12. Janel says:

The bathroom looks great, your DIY skills know no bounds!! My favorite is your butcher block and sink but those towels are a close second. Great job Meredith, enjoy your space!

13. Pingback: Master Bath Phase 5: The Big Reveal! | Welcome to Heardmont

14. Alright, that settles it. You’re going to have to come to Canada and plan everything for our place. I can’t let Dave find out that it’s possible to come in that far under budget and still look fabulous.

15. Wow! Love the budget breakdown. Such a great bathroom re-do and so nice to know its affordable too. Genius.

16. Wow! Your bathroom reno looks fantastic! Its amazing that you were able to get it to look like that with only $529 (and a lot of hard work, I’m sure). Great job 🙂

17. Sarah says:

I’m a new reader of your blog, and I had to just let you know I absolutely LOVE your bathroom!

18. Pingback: Welcome to Heardmont House Tour | Welcome to Heardmont

19. Vickie says:

Fantastic! Just came over from Primitive & Proper and ended up reading all of your bathroom posts. I love that you used an IKEA butcher block for your vanity top because it’s what I’ve been envisioning for my current bathroom remodel and wondered if anyone else had used it. You also did an amazing job with the board & batten, dark colors and sweet decor, bravo! Thank you for all the inspiration.

20. Pingback: Wow that took a long time | My Pinteresting Home

21. Albert says:

Great job! How did you get your butcher block counter that color and shine? I have the same counters from ikea, but they have this boring color and no sheen.

Hey Albert,
      To answer your question, we stained and polyurethaned the butcher block before installing it in our bathroom. If this had been in a kitchen we would have had to find a product that was food-safe, but since it was a bathroom, we just treated the countertop like a piece of furniture.

22. Matt says:

I just ran across your blog, and you have given me lots of ideas. I have a question for you. What is the height of the top of your shelf? I have a dilemma to put my shelf between the plug and switch or on top of the switch like you did. The top of my switch would put it around 60 inches.

23. Pingback: Fun Bathroom ideas for DIY decorations | A Chic Direction

24. Hi, we love your sink!! Can I ask, can you see the pipes behind the sink for the faucet? Or is there a way to hide them? I want to run out to IKEA and pick one up!!!

25. Pingback: Guest Bath: The Reveal | Welcome to Heardmont

26. Sophie says:

Beautiful bathroom i can read or stay in that kind of bathroom it`s cool in my eyes.. very refreshing….