Heardmont History: The Kitchen

This is part of a little series called Heardmont History.  We’re digging back through our archives and highlighting some projects we did before starting “Welcome to Heardmont.” Hope you enjoy!

Yesterday you saw how far our hallway has come, and today it’s time to see the kitchen.  This is waaaay later than I usually post (sorry about that, guys), but it’s been one of those days.  Better late than never, I guess!

Here’s what our kitchen looked like the day we bought our house.

Dark wood cabinets, gothic pulls in the center of the doors (who DOES that?), old appliances, laminate counters and floors, and the list goes on…

That white fridge was the culprit I mentioned in our How to Clean Stainless Steel post.  The one that lasted less than a year after we bought our house?  Yeah.

Here’s a view you don’t often see of our island.  Look at how grungy and gross those doors were!  Take special note of the WALL you see beyond the island in this photo.  We took that baby out within 24 hours of closing.

The previous owners of our house were both professors.  The husband was a chemistry professor, but if you look closely at this photo, you could probably have guessed that.  Check out the chemistry-class-style electric pole he ran from the ceiling to the island to power the microwave!

As I mentioned above, we tore out the wall between our kitchen and dining room the night we closed on the house.  Here is Stephen starting the demolition.

This is the first view we had through the wall into the kitchen!  (In case you’re wondering, originally there was only been a small doorway connecting the two rooms.)

Demolition is dirty business, but you can already see how much visual space we were gaining!

The next morning we finished removing the studs.  Here’s a great shot of that electric pole I mentioned.

I stayed home from work that day and cleaned up the mess we’d made.  Here’s the new view from the dining room (my back is to the living room) into the kitchen.  Look at that sweet fluorescent light! 😉

The next phase in the remodel was painting the kitchen cabinets.  First we removed all the doors and primed the bases.

I think we were about halfway done with the priming when we realized it would be a good idea to scrape the popcorn off the ceilings BEFORE our cabinets got fully painted.

We knew we’d be replacing the fluorescent light, so it was the first thing to go, along with that lovely chemistry power pole to the island.

If you’ll recall, this was about the time that THIS occurred.

Stephen stayed home from work one day and surprised me by texting me this photo.  New can lights, hooray!

Because we like roping people into renovating with us, we convinced our friend Casey to help us scrape the popcorn off the ceilings when she was over one night.

The three of us worked for several hours and only got the kitchen ceiling done.  At least we were still smiling at the end!

Even raw drywall looks better than popcorn ceilings!

I covered up the old electrical holes and did some spackeling and then we primed and painted the ceiling.  Ahhhh smooth as butter. 🙂

If you’re really good, you might notice the little brown chair I reupholstered for my craft room.  This was back when we used it as a step stool haha…

Now I have to admit that getting from the photo above to where we are today took a long time.  Sure we cleaned up the dust, but it took us a while to paint and rehang the cabinet doors and to put other finishing touches on the room.  Of course I don’t have any photos of that process… I think I’m in denial that it ever happened!

Regardless, that brings you up to speed on what we’ve done so far.  Welcome to our kitchen!

We love our light, bright, and open kitchen.  You’ll remember the bar stools I bought on Craigslist.

I’m especially loving this side of the kitchen now that I actually know how to keep our stainless appliances clean.

The range is the only appliance we have left to replace.  I don’t really mind it not matching for now – it gets the job done.

Here’s our little coffee station by the fridge.  The Heards platter was a wedding gift and it’s excellent for serving cookies at parties!

You’ll notice we painted the island white.  We also added beadboard underneath the counter to cover up the vents that had been cut for the microwave.

Here’s the same view you saw of our island back when the wall was still up.  Now instead of a wall, we have a pretty white beam between the kitchen and dining rooms. We use the old microwave nook in the island for pot lids and a hand towel.

Our current hand towel is pretty much the most awesome one we’ve ever owned.  Our friend Nolen’s mom made this one for us as a Christmas present! It says Heardmont – isn’t that great?

So that pretty much wraps up the tour of our kitchen as it looks today.  Like the hallway yesterday, we have things we’d still like to do in here.

Stephen “absolutely hates” (YES that’s actually a quote) our current island, so once we find a good replacement, it’ll be getting the boot.  Sooner rather than later we’d like to replace the laminate flooring (when we do the rest of the house), and down the road we’ll be picking out new countertops and backsplash!

And because I had so much fun making that “accomplishments” photo from our hallway yesterday, here’s one for the kitch.

Thanks for stopping by!  Tomorrow is another crazy day with work, so check back for a quick tip on how I made something I used for staging the kitchen today.  Hope you’re enjoying this series – Heardmont History will continue next week!

Linking to:

The DIY Show Off

This entry was posted in Before and After, Heardmont History, kitchen and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Heardmont History: The Kitchen

Oh WOW what a difference.. Well done Meredith. It looks Beautiful.. Its hard work but so worth it.

2. Another beautifully done renovation in your home!! I love that you were tearing down walls the same day you closed on the house! You did an amazing job on this space. I bet you really miss the chemist’s pole. haha!

I know I’ve already emailed you (before I had my blog this week) how happy I was to get your stainless steel cleaning tip, but also wanted to tell you that several of my friends have reposted the tip on Facebook. You have helped so many of us!

3. Jenn says:

Meredith, it looks awesome! Love the white cabinets.

4. Pingback: Staging Tip: How to Fill up that Fruit Bowl | Welcome to Heardmont

5. Lisa says:

Wow! It looks amazing! I’m always loving when people do this kind of work themselves because we DIY all our home remodels too. It looks like a ton of work, but it’s a great outcome! Good job with it!

6. Irma Baker says:

Great kitchen! The white cabinets are beautiful!!! We just painted ours and it makes quite a difference:)

7. Suzanne says:

What a wonderful transformation! It looks like a brand new kitchen! I think taking out the wall was really smart, and re-doing the ceiling was a great idea, too. Well done!

8. Kathleen says:

Wow! I love your new kitchen, it really inspires me to start on ours 🙂

9. Great renovation on the kitchen! That’s a lot of work, but it sure looks great!
    ~Amanda

10. Tyler says:

Love the paint color and curtain choice. Gorgeous and fresh kitchen!

11. Oh my gosh, Meredith! What a HUGE change! And a HUGE amount of work! I can’t get over the chemistry outlet pole – that didn’t scare you away from buying the house?! What a big difference. It looks really good!

12. Casey says:

Scraping ceilings in your house was a lot more fun than it is in my house!!

13. Taylor says:

That’s incredible! You did such an awesome job, I can’t wait to explore the rest of your blog. Our apartment has popcorn ceilings and oh how I wish we were allowed to scrape them off. I stare at them in loathing so much I begin to see shapes in the corn. Ugh.

-Taylor

14. Michelle says:

What a difference the white paint makes it looks so fresh and clean. I couldn’t help but notice your bar was unpacked in one of those cupboards, plenty of booze to lure the mates to stay just a bit longer and scrape just a bit harder 🙂

15. Pingback: Heardmont History: The Dining Room | Welcome to Heardmont

16. Michelle says:

Phew… a lot of work! You all did a wonderful makeover! Looks like a brand new kitchen. Great choice on colors and lighting! What a huge transformation!

17. Shelia says:

Wow! This is really a makeover! What a great job and your kitchen looks fantastic! I love it! I’m visiting from DIY Project Parade.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

18. Wanda says:

So, you scraped your ceilings and then just applied primer and paint? I’m new to this so I was thinking you had to put drywall compound on the sheetrock, sand smooth, prime and then paint. Can I skip the spackling if the ceiling is in good shape and go straight to priming?

19. amazing transformation! y’all worked so hard and it shows! way to go!

20. Pingback: Heardmont History: The Front Door | Welcome to Heardmont

21. Lila says:

That is a great reno! I’m loving this look back bit that you’re doing.

22. Pingback: Adding Green in our Kitchen | Welcome to Heardmont

23. Pingback: Guest Blogger: Meredith from Welcome to Heardmont | It's Great To Be Home

24. MrsOgg says:

Yes, I admit I am stalking you from the Apartment Therapy…. Glad I did though, because I really appreciated the extra pics of your remodel. Your before cabinets remind me so much of ours which only makes me want to do this more! In these pictures I noticed that you also have a ceiling that drops down to meed the top of the cabinets. I’m wondering if ripping that drywall and frame out will be worth it to imitate the shelf in Anne Turner’s kitchen….
    Anywho, your kitchen dining area looks awesome! I even like your wall color…what color paint is it?

I have often thought about ripping out the drywall above our cabinets and/or moving the cabinets up. My concern is that they’re fairly well painted in place and I could see lots of prying ruining the cabinets if we decided to move them. If we only would have thought of this before we painted them! 🙂

Regardless, I’ll be SURE to post about it if we do decide to move them. To answer your question, the paint color in the kitchen is Cincinnatian Hotel Carl Tan by Valspar. Dumb name but nice color! 🙂

25. Pingback: Stirring Up Dust | Welcome to Heardmont

26. Pingback: 7 Ways to Give Your Kitchen an Instant Update (Without Spending a lot of Cash) »

27. Jackie says:

I actually have a question for you… You did an amazing job taking out that wall, how did you know it was not a load bearing wall? What did you do to the floor where the wall was? I am about to buy my first home and it is just like your… out dated. I am excited to get started on my own DIY mission. Thanks for all the photos and how to!

Jackie

28. Sasha says:

I’m confused. The island shown in the Apartment Therapy photo is NOT the same as in the photos above.

29. Cynthia says:

I noticed you changed the location of the hardware on the cabinets from the middle to the coner, did you have to cover all the holes before you painted? if so , how did you do this?

30. Kelly says:

WOW! What an amazing upgrade. So fresh and open looking.

31. Kate says:

Did you post a tutorial for painting the cabinets? I’m contemplating tackling that, but am a bit terrified of what I’m getting myelsef into!

Hey Kate,
      We didn’t do a cabinet painting tutorial, but the basic process was to sand and degloss the original cabinets, prime (we used KILZ), and paint 2 coats of semi-gloss latex. It was a lot of work.
      I’d recommend checking out http://www.younghouselove.com/ (under Projects) for a more in-depth idea of the process.
      Good luck if you decide to tackle your cabinets!