Painting Trim

We’ve been hard at work in our entryway this past week, slowly but surely getting rid of all our 80’s wood trim.  Even though we painted our entry and hallway a light gray about a year ago, we hadn’t touched any of the trim since we bought our house.  Here’s what we were dealing with.

I sanded and primed the door frames and window frames.  We decided not to paint the baseboards yet in the rooms that are eventually getting new flooring.  Needless to say, this is one of those rooms. 🙂

Next came two coats of semi-gloss trim paint.  After the trim had dried it was time to get the wall paint back out and cover up messes I made around the edges.  Finally I ran a razor blade around the edges of the two windows at the end of the entry way to ensure a nice clean painted edge.

The last step came this weekend.  I got out the 6″ roller and painted the wood door on the right end of the hallway.  This door leads to our garage, so I only painted the inside.

While I was waiting for the paint on the door to dry, I decided to experiment with painting the brass doorknob.  I grabbed a few other hinges and knobs and got out the spray paint!

I started by roughing up the pieces with sandpaper and laying them out on cardboard in the yard.

Next came a coat of gray auto primer, two coats of silver, and a clear coat on top.

After exercising a lot of patience, here is the finished result!

Now for one last look at the updated entryway Before and After.

Thanks for visiting and come back soon!

I’m linking to The DIY ShowoffHouse of Thrifty Decor, Metamorphosis Monday and I Made it Without My Hubby.

This entry was posted in Before and After, entryway, Paint and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Painting Trim

1. leslie says:

what an amazing transformation!!! it looks awesome. My inlaws are about to tackle painting the trim in their house. I may need to show my Mother-in-law these pictures for a little inspiration when the going gets tough.

2. leslie says:

oh and i’ve been tempted to spray paint door knobs before too but wondered about the durability. you’ll have to let us know how it holds up after some wear and tear.

3. kathy T says:

Oh my gosh -we have the brown wood everywhere –Yuck -I knew I needed to paint but kept waiting for some motivation –Well by golly -you just gave me the motivation I needed –What a difference _-I bet you just can’t believe it -looks so light and inviting 🙂

Thanks for the compliments ladies! I always say it’s amazing what a little paint (and a lot of hours) can do! Kathy, I hope you love your new white trim and Leslie, I’ll definitely let you know how the door knobs hold up. I got the “method” from another blogger who said hers have lasted quite awhile so far with no wear and tear, so I have high hopes!

4. Brittany says:

It makes such a big difference. It’s so bright, pretty. Good job!

5. Wahoo, Remodelaholic!!! The trim work looks so bright and fresh painted. How are the door knobs holding up?

6. YES. We have 1980’s knotty pine trim. It is AMAZING how much lighter it feels when you paint that stuff. Great job and you’re inspiring me to KEEP GOING. 😉

7. Pingback: 2011 Starts off with a Bang! | Welcome to Heardmont

8. Michelle says:

Hi I saw your post on Remodelaolic and had to come and say great job! What a difference white paint makes to the door frames, they really pop. We’re doing the same thing to our place bit by bit room by room. I like the idea of painting the door handles, they came up a treat!

9. Alicia B. says:

Wonderful job! I also would like to change out the hideous gold knobs, but throughout the whole house, hinges, knobes and everything would cost cost to a grand. I never thought you could paint them and get away with it. Please keep us posted, I will do this if it holds up! 🙂 Thanks!

Hi Alicia! Thanks so much! So far so good on the doorknobs. I only did the ones in the entryway, but they’re used on a daily basis and 3 months later, they’re still going strong!

It takes patience, but if it saves you 1k, I’d say go for it! 🙂

10. Nancy says:

Your transformation is wonderful! So clean and fresh. I know you love it! I’m a new follower and would love a follow back.
    Have a great day
    Nancy

11. Pingback: Welcome to Heardmont House Tour | Welcome to Heardmont

12. It’s been over one year know…how are the painted knobs holding up? Just curious…they’re so expensive to replace!

We actually ended up getting all new doorknobs. I didn’t have the patience to paint them all myself, but the ones we did paint held up for several months before we replaced them.