Tutorial: Easy Placemat Pillows

The other day I came across these cute yellow placemats at Target.

They reminded me so much of the colors in our master bedroom that I decided to get a couple and turn them into accent pillows!

I’ve seen tutorials on turning placemats into pillows on several other blogs, but here’s how I did it.

Step 1: Iron your placemats

Step 2: With scissors or a seam ripper, take out the stitches in one edge of the placemat

Step 3: Using your favorite polyester filling, stuff the placemat/ pillow cover

Step 4: Close the seam – I chose to hot glue mine shut (sooo easy)

Step 5:  Admire your new pillows!

Here’s a reminder of what our bedroom looked like before our new pillows.

And here it is now!

Of course my girls felt the need to get in on some photos, as usual!

I hope you liked the quick and easy placemat pillow tutorial.  Now go grab some placemats and start stuffing!

I’m linking to The Link Party at Tea Rose Home

Frugal Friday at the Shabby Nest

Remodelaholic’s Anonymous

Show and Share Day at Just a Girl

Visit thecsiproject.com

UPDATE: My tutorial has been featured on the Remodelaholic blog!  I have to say, it has to be one of my favorite blogs for daily inspiration.  If you haven’t checked it out before, I highly recommend it!

This entry was posted in Before and After, Crafts, master bedroom, tutorial and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Tutorial: Easy Placemat Pillows

1. Michelle L. says:

Hi! Thanks for leaving a sweet comment over on my blog – had to come check out what you guys are up to. And here is this GENIUS tutorial! I can’t sew and never make pillows ’cause all the tutes out there require a sewing machine…I have never seen this idea and I love it! Your critters are the CUTEST, and that is such a peaceful, pretty bedroom.

2. Amie says:

I love this idea! What a creative way to use placemats, the finished result is just lovely. I’ll have to try this myself, thanks for the inspiration!

3. Liz says:

Great idea! It looks great!

4. Crystal says:

Such a cute idea! Love it, I’m off to target to find some to try.

5. Desiree says:

Love them! I never would have thought to keep the backing that came with the placements.

-Desiree

6. kARA says:

Lovely! Come by and look at my placemat pillows! 🙂

Kara

7. Kari says:

I love your placemat pillow! How funny is it that I have that exact placemat that I turned into a pillow also? It’s a great placemat to turn into a bed accessory! 🙂

8. I love those pillows and I need to go to Target now! I also adore the mirror above your bed.

9. Jennifer says:

Absolutely love this idea! Your instructions give me hope that I might actually be able to make these myself! Thanks for sharing!

10. We love this party link and I wanted to let you know that we are planning on featuring it. We hope that you get a bunch of new visitors.

11. We love this party link and I wanted to let you know that we are planning on featuring it. We hope that you get a bunch of new visitors.

12. Sandy says:

Fabulous. And they make wonderful purses too.

13. That is genius! I also saw those placemats at Target and love them!

14. Casey says:

Meredith!!! I just saw your feature on Remodelaholic!! Congratulations 🙂

15. Cindi says:

These are so stinkin cute, I love it! I can’t wait to make my own. Thanks for a great idea!

16. Sarah says:

That’s such a creative idea! I have those exact placemats on my dining room table right now, so I guess I know how I can repurpose them once I’m tired of them as placemats!

17. Jennifer says:

Love the pillows, but really LOVE the mirror over your bed. can you tell me where you got it? I want it so bad.

18. Meredith says:

Hey Jennifer, unfortunately that mirror was a vintage craigslist find. The link above shows a pic of the back of the mirror, which might help you try to find another one!

19. Pingback: I have a problem | And Baby Makes Eight

20. SUCH a great idea! You inspired me, and when I found the exact same yellow placemats at Target, I just had to make them too!! I blogged about you here:

Thanks for the idea!!

21. I did this same thing not too long ago…so cute and such an easy idea!! I actually initially got those EXACT placemats to do more placemat pillows with, but changed my tune to napkins instead. Great job though, they look fantastic!

22. I had no idea how this was done! I thought you sewed two together! Genius. I’m making a trip to Target tomorrow!! Debbie @ inspiredhoneybee.blogspot.com

23. That is so easy! I love the pop of yellow on the bed and the fabric has great texture. Beautiful.

24. Those pillows are fabulous!!! Look like you picked them up in the store. Thanks for the tutorial. 🙂 I’m visiting from The CSI Project. Hope you’ll stop by my blog to say hi. 🙂

25. Pam says:

Fantastic…I love this idea. Easy, simple and pretty….my idea of a project.

26. Pingback: Master Closet Phase 5: The Big Reveal! | Welcome to Heardmont

27. Pingback: Spring Bedroom Redo | Welcome to Heardmont

28. Pingback: Tutorial: Euro Shams with Flanges | Welcome to Heardmont

29. Pingback: New Linens for Less | Welcome to Heardmont

30. Mandi says:

Ok that is so smart! I just made these into Christmas pillows….love it!

31. Pingback: 116 Homemade Pillows DIY | Rilane - We Aspire to Inspire